In this blog post I’d like to talk about what the idea behind beatquest.fm is, what I have created so far and what I think it should become in the near future.
But first off, let me introduce myself: My name is Sascha Gehlich, I’m a young web developer from Germany and I’m loving creating new projects. I started doing internet stuff when I was 8 (about 12 years ago) and in these 12 years I have actually learned a whole bunch of programming languages and web technologies.
5 years ago I started a project called FILSH.net. FILSH is a web service that allows you to download online videos (like videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion etc.) and convert them in the cloud. FILSH.net has grown to a huge project with over 6 million unique visitors and and 55 million page impressions per month. But things have changed, Google has pissed me off, so now I’m looking for a new opportunity to do something cool
So about 9 months ago I had the idea of a game that’s all about music. Do you know the music quiz on the old iPod nano? I played that a long time ago and somehow this game came back to my mind, so I decided to try porting the idea to a browser game. So I created a small prototype and published it on Twitter, Facebook and HackerNews. In a very short period of time it got 1000 registered users, people got addicted to it and played it for hours.
So I thought a bit about it and started creating an advanced version of that. Unfortunately I had some personal issues only a few weeks later, so I had to abandon the idea which I picked up again a few months ago.
What is beatquest right now?
A cool, unfinished and addictive browser game, that’s for sure! So here’s the stuff I have done so far:
- Simple user management with buddy invitations / buddy lists and profiles
- An awesomely cute yet simple avatar creator that lets you create your individual avatar
- Public game mode: Choose a room with a specific music genre, listen to music and guess the artists / titles. Compete against other players in the same room and try to be faster than them
- XP / Levels / Achievements: For each song you guess right, you earn experience points (XP). The more XP you get, the higher your level gets. Also, there are a lot of achievements, e.g. for “Songs guessed in a row”, “Songs guessed in total”, “Guessing speed”, “Games won” and there are a lot more to come
- And very important: A very cool pure HTML5 and CSS3 game-like web interface which I will improve in the next weeks
Also, I have two awesome guys called Umut Türkoglu and Umut Deniz who are working on social media / marketing campaigns and feeding / cleaning up the database. If you ever think about visiting our office, prepare for some nasty kofte and sucuk smell - these guys are eating it like nobody else.
What will beatquest become?
Good question - next question! There are so many unfinished ideas in my head that I’m trying to get clear about. Some stuff I’m definitely working on is DJ / Guitar equipment that you can unlock or buy to improve your gameplay / gain more XP and unlock more game features. Some other thing is creating weekly tournaments among your friends to keep the fun factor quite high. But I guess the most ideas will come when working on it.
And what’s most important: I want to involve you as much as possible! Tell me your ideas, I tell you whether I like them or not. If you have ideas or questions, feel free to post them on our facebook page.
So far, so good. Stay tuned folks, this will be epic! :)